During the interwar period, the decommissioning of the city’s fortifications and the annexation of the zone non aedificandi gave fresh impetus to planning, this time on the regional level. In 1934 architect Henri Prost and the departments of the Directorate for the Extension of Paris the PARP (a plan for the development of the Paris Region), commissioned by the CSARP (the higher commission for the development of the Paris Region), established in 1928. The PARP was the first official urban planning document to set an ambition of organising the growth of the capital region “and not to extend [the city] further”. In effect until the 1960s, the PARP explored innovative schemes such as zoning or “autostrades”, as well as their incorporation into the landscape. With the completion of the Prost Plan, Paris took part in a global movement for metropolitan planning that affected not only major capitals (Amsterdam, Moscow, New York, etc.), but also the colonial worlds and “medium-sized” or “emerging” cities.
Proceedings from the Symposium on 4 et 5 décembre 2014 Auditorium du Petit Palais
Enfouir et disperser : influences militaires sur les politiques d’aménagement du Grand Paris au cours des années 1930 – Origines, réalisations et postérités du Plan urbain et départemental de défense passive